Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Greatest Lesson Learned

From my Tevin experience, I have learned that the bottom line is:
God's Will, God's Way, and God's Timing

His Will
God allowed Tevin to have adrenoleukodystrophy, it was HIS WILL. Please understand that it is not God's will that we remain in a constant state of sickness, however he allows unfavorable things to occur in our lives for specific purposes. This disease has no cure the prognosis is death within 18 months. Because there is no cure God made sure that in no way would man get any glory in this situation. God allowed us to be in this situation so that men could see His works--that's His Will. John 9:3 says:...but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. God's ultimate will for our lives is that men may see his glory in and through our lives. Jesus said it best in Mark 14:36, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will. Please understand that God's ultimate desire and will is for us to have health and eternal life, however he allows us to face certain situations to demonstrate his power, faithfulness, mercy and glory to the world.

His Way
This by far was my toughest lesson learned. I am a control freak. I like to have everything planned out and everything to follow the plan. I need to know everything in advance and I want everything done a certain way, preferably my way lol. Well after I got over the issue that this situation was God's will, I immediately started to question how would men see God's glory. In my opinion I thought God would get the greatest glory if He miraculous healed Tevin in this life on this earth. Well that was my way. Obviously God had another way. God decided that it would be best to heal Tevin through death on this earth. As I argued with God about His way and my way (sounds strange, huh?), he politely led me to Isaiah 55:8: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. With that said of course that was the end of our (God and I) discussion about that.

His Timing
According to all the reports about this disease, the average was death within 18 months after the onset. Well Tevin lived years beyond that. God had to show us that no matter what doctors, research, or anything else says, He is in control and things are done in His timing. At one point I felt like God was being cruel because He was not healing Tevin, but allowing him just to stay in the same state for years. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says it best: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. One fruit of the Spirit that we don't like to talk about much is long suffering. However this is a fruit of the Spirit. If you feel like you have been waiting a long time just remember God is developing fruit in you so that men may see His glory.

All of us have issues that we are dealing with in our lives. I am here to witness to you that your answer is in your submission. Submit to God's will, way, and timing. I guarantee you that the minute you do that you can face any giant, go through any storm, survive any fire. WARNING: this will not always feel good to you. But you will find God's love, peace, strength, and joy. Of course I miss Tevin, but I am at peace in Jesus. I am not proclaiming this to be an easy task, I am saying you are able to do it with God. He is awesome and that's all I know. :)

Be Encouraged Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment